Trade Policy - Understanding the essentials of
EU Trade Law and the WTO
Spring session: 21-23 May 2012
Autumn session: 3-5 September 2012
What is the Trade Policy Training Course?
In addressing the trade policy concerns of today’s professionals, the College of Europe has designed an innovative and interactive training programme. The main purpose of the seminar is to ensure that participants are thoroughly acquainted with the main aspects of
EU Trade law and WTO-related issues.
This three-day seminar gives a thorough and detailed introduction of trade law and WTO.
The programme includes a broad overview of the sources, structure and basic principles of international trade law, as well as its main actors and subjects. It will offer participants a comprehensive analysis of the International Trading System and its interaction with
EU trade policies.
Which methodology is used?
The programme combines different training methodologies that will require active participation and guarantee a strong interaction among professionals:
- Dynamic training sessions examining theoretical and practical aspects of trade policy and law;
- Workshops and case studies designed to challenge and develop essential analytical skills ;
- Individual and collective feedback giving participants the opportunity to maximise their personal learning experience;
- Active debate among and between experts and participants;
- A practical syllabus provided prior to the training which includes technical information, summing up the main points of each topic, and key legal sources, highlighting the relevant articles of the treaty and illustrating each point with figures.
Through this programme, participants will have an opportunity to:
- Improve, extend and update their knowledge and understanding of the EU’s Trade Policy and international trade law;
- Identify the legal implications of international trade issues;
- Place any problem of legal nature in the right context, conduct research on the matter and develop appropriate solutions;
- Obtain cutting-edge advice and insights from high level lecturers, with experience working for the EU institutions and/or the WTO;
- Strengthen your legal and economic analysis skills through the practical exercises;
- Enjoy a unique opportunity to learn in a multicultural environment and extend their personal and professional network;
- Receive a certificate from the College of Europe upon successful completion of the course.
Note from the Lecturer
“International trade regulation lies at the heart of some fundamental tensions in the international Community and challenges individual perceptions of globalization. This is a moving area, which requires a structured and dynamic understanding of the current international trade regime and its possible evolution.
With this programme, the classroom will dive into to the ocean of globalisation, through the meanders of trade, economic and development policies”.
Dr. David Luff
Partner in the international law firm Appleton Luff and course director of the Trade Policy training