International conferences organised by the Department
To complement the academic programme, the Department organises lectures and conferences on a broad range of topics relevant to the study of EU International Relations and Diplomacy.
Practitioners and academics come to the College in order to present and discuss their views on current European and international affairs with the students. Guest lectures are either conducted within the framework of a specific course or are open to students from all departments.
International conferences organised by the Department:
- International Conference on “EU-China Soft Diplomacy”, co-organised with the Committee of the Regions, Brussels (18-19 April 2013)
- International Conference on "The Neighbours of the EU's Neighbours: Legal, Political, Security and Socio-Economic Challenges beyond the ENP" (21-22 March 2013)
- Seminar on "Mass Communication and EU-China Relations", co-organised with Xinhua News Agency Europe Regional Bureau and Madariaga-College of Europe Foundation, Brussels (18 December 2012)
- International Conference on "The Neighbours of the EU's Neighbours: Diplomatic and Geopolitical Dimensions beyond the ENP" (15-16 November 2012)
- International Workshop on "EU-China Relations in a Globalised World" (26 October 2013)
- International Conference on “The EU and China – Partners for a Green World” (19-20 April 2012)
- International Conference on Understanding political Islam in Arab Mediterranean societies: Challenges and Prospects for the EU Foreign Policy (24 February 2012)
- International Conference on "Challenges Facing the 21st Century Diplomat: Representation, Communication, Negotiation and Training" (25-26 October 2011)
- International Conference on “The EU, the US and China: Towards the New International Order?” (22-23 April 2011)
- International Conference on “The EU and China: Partners or Competitors in Africa?” (4-5 February 2010)
- International Conference on "The Power of Europe: Affirming the EU as a Global Actor" (7-8 May 2009)
- International Workshop on "Prospects and Challenges for EU-China Relations in the 21st Century: The Partnership and Cooperation Agreement" (3-4 April 2009)
- International Forum on Diplomatic Training "New Challenges to Diplomatic Training", 36th Meeting of Deans and Directors of Diplomatic Academies and Institutes of International Relations (24-26 September 2008)
- International Workshop on "Transatlantic Relations" (26-27 October 2007)
Recent Speeches at the Department
- 25 October 2012, Dr Ian LESSER, Director, German Marshall Fund Transatlantic Center, Brussels, High-Level Lecture on the Neighbours of the EU's Neighbours: "The United States and the EU's Broader Neighbourhood"
- 11 October 2012, Arjan UILENREEF, Executive Secretary, European Integration Committee – Advisory Council on International Affairs, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, The Hague, “Bilateral Diplomacy in the EU: A Practitioner’s Perspective” (Prof. Hocking’s course)
- 10 October 2012, David SPENCE, David Davies of Llandinam Research Fellow, London School of Economics, former Minister Counsellor EU Delegation to the UN in Geneva, “From Commission Official to EEAS Diplomat: Managing a Diplomatic Career in Turbulent Times”
- 25 September 2012, Ditte Juul JOERGENSEN, Head of Unit, Legal Affairs and Dispute Settlement, DG Trade, European Commission, "What Role Does the EU Play in Major Trade Disputes at the WTO?" (Prof. Gstöhl’s course)