Le 6 février 2023, la Rectrice Mogherini tient un discours dans le cadre des « Grandes Conférences Catholiques » sur le thème de « L’Europe dans un monde polarisé ». L’événément a lieu à BOZAR...
This project is funded by the European Union
Euro-Arab relations date back to 1973 when the first bi-regional dialogue was launched. Despite some ups and downs, since 2008, there is a shared willingness to revitalize those relations, especially by:
- understanding each other's priorities;
- exploring synergies with other regional frameworks, and;
- anticipating and mitigating the effects of regional crises.
Following the first Ministerial meeting between the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the European Union (EU) and of the League of Arab States (LAS) held in Malta in 2008, the EU and the LAS made efforts in strengthening and structuring their relations by establishing a framework of regular High Level and Senior Official Meetings, with the purpose of contributing to regional security, prosperity and democracy in full respect of international law, the United Nations (UN) Charter and the relevant UN resolutions.
The first edition of the project "Training and Information Course on Euro-Arab Relations” (El Hiwar I) started in 2013 and was completed in June 2017. The overall objective of El Hiwar I was to "improve the flow of information and to promote dialogue among officials working in the EU institutions and in the Arab League Secretariat".
The second edition of the project “Training and Information Course on Euro-Arab Relations” (El Hiwar II) started in June 2018 and aims at strengthening dialogue, cooperation and collaboration with key regional actors in Euro-Arab relations.
In the midst of the implementation of this second phase, the first ever European Union - League of Arab States Summit took place on 24-25 February 2019 in Sharm El-Sheikh, bringing together heads of state and government of the members of League of Arab States and the EU. The Summit renewed their commitment to create new opportunities through a collaborative approach, by placing people, in particular women and youth, at the heart of joint work. Leaders recognised the important role played by civil society. Both sides also agreed to strengthen economic cooperation and committed to develop a concrete agenda especially in the fields of trade, energy, science, research, technology, tourism, agriculture and other mutually beneficial areas.
El-Hiwar is implemented by the College of Europe (Bruges) and is funded by the EU.
- Launching event
- Institutional training courses on EU/LAS functioning and priorities
- Policy dialogues
- Sectorial training courses
- Working sessions
- Summer Schools on Euro-Arab relations
- Closing event
- Policy Dialogue on Digital Opportunities, April 2022
- Policy Dialogue on Women Economic Empowerment, March 2022
- Institutional Training Workshop on Regional Integration, January-February 2022
- Policy Dialogue on Climate Change to debrief on COP26, December 2021
- El-Hiwar project organised a briefing between the EC and the Arab League to explore bi-regional cooperation in the sphere of Education, October 2021
- Sectorial Training on Enhancing Leadership in EU-related matters, October 2021
- Briefing on the EC’s pact on migration and asylum with the Arab League Secretariat and Member States, September 2021
- Policy Dialogue Workshop on Euro-Arab Economic Relations after the pandemic, September 2021
- Second Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, July 2021
- Briefing on Human Rights between the League of Arab States and the EU, June 2021
- Apply now for the Second Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, May 2021
- Briefing on the new EU agenda for the Mediterranean with the League of Arab States, March 2021
- IEMed launches an open consultation on the EU and its Southern Neighbourhood, January 2021
- Sectorial training course on fake news, misinformation, fact-checking techniques and reliable sources of information on the EU, November 2020
- Online training workshop on the Wider Human Rights Agenda, September 2020
- 2020 Foresight Exercise, September 2020
- Inter-Institutional Dialogue: “Response to Covid-19 and Repercussions on Euro-Arab Relations”, July 2020
- The Project Community goes online!, May 2020
- Briefs from the El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, February 2020
- Institutional Training on the "Functioning and Priorities of the League of Arab States" in Cairo, February 2020
- Euro-Arab Dialogue on Human Rights: Understanding Each Other's Priorities, October 2019
- Sectorial Training on Foresight Techniques and Strategic Thinking, August 2019
- Briefing on the Report 'Global Trends to 2030: Challenges and Choices for Europe' and its implications for Euro-Arab Relations, August 2019
- First Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, July 2019
- Workshop on 'Euro-Arab Relations: History, Opportunities and Key Players', June 2019
- Policy Dialogue on Women and Conflict, April 2019
- Policy Dialogue on Youth, Civil Society and Socio-Economic Needs, April 2019
- First institutional seminar in Brussels, October 2018
- Training and Information Course on Euro-Arab Diplomacy: Programme launched, July 2018
Briefs - El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations
In the framework of the first El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, which took place from 15 to 19 July 2019, participants were encouraged to and trained in the drafting of briefs on a topic of relevance for the future of Euro-Arab relations. The series is published below!
- Deepening the Euro-Arab Trade and Sustainable Development Goals, Chahir Zaki, February 2020
- Women's effective inclusion in peace processes as an indispensable tool to achieve a long-lasting peace: The case of the challenges for achieving gender equality at the Syria Peace talks, Dr. Ana B. Perianes, February 2020
- The relevance of International Water Law to the good governance of transboundary water resources in the Arab Region, Imad Antoine Ibrahim, February 2020
- Partnering for Migration across the Mediterranean: The way forward, Clara Alberola, February 2020
- Old tools for new realities: EU Special Representatives as foreign policy tools in Euro-Arab security dialogue, Sharon Lecocq, January 2020
- Euro-Arab people-to-people Relations, Stimson Centre, Desirée Custers, August 2021
- EU-LAS relations Factsheet, European External Action Service - EEAS, February 2019 (Arabic here)
- New Wine into Old Wineskins? Addressing Patterns of Institutional Development in Euro-Mediterranean Relations in the Wake of the So-Called “EU Refugee Crisis”, Tommaso EMILIANI, EU officer at the College of Europe and Researcher, October 2018
Partners & Stakeholders
The European Union, in particular the European Commission - DG NEAR and the EEAS
The League of Arab States, in particular the General Secretariat and the thematic departments at the LAS Secretariat
ECLASLO, the European Commission-League of Arab States Liaison Office
The Member States of the European Union and the League of Arab States
Civil Society Organisations willing to take part and contribute to the EU-LAS technical debate
Follow us on social media!
- Follow the hashtag #elhiwar on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Instagram to keep updated!
- Join our Facebook Page! This page will allow the Euro-Arab community to keep growing and stay in contact.
- If you have participated in any of the project activities, do not hesitate to ask to join the El-Hiwar Facebook group by contacting us at email@example.com. This group has been put at the service of participants, trainers and organizers who took part in project activities not only during this phase but also in the previous one, from 2013 to 2017, under El-Hiwar I.
Meet the team
Eduard Soler | Team Leader
Claire Lawrence | Project Coordinator
Stefanie Maertens | Event Organiser
Do not hesitate to contact us for any inquiry or to explore synergies between your project and
El-Hiwar II: firstname.lastname@example.org