The College of Europe is seeking applications for the position of Permanent Professor (100% FTE) of the study programme "Master of Arts in European Transformation and Integration – The EU and Southeastern Europe” (ETI) at the newly established Department of European Transformation and Integration in Tirana, Albania [coleurope.eu/tirana], starting from the academic year 2024-25 onwards, and beginning with the preparatory work in spring 2024 (exact starting date tbc). The successful candidate will be appointed for a period of three years (renewal possible).
About the College: Welcome to the laboratory of the European integration
The College of Europe, with its Bruges campus established in 1949 and its Natolin campus established in 1992, is the oldest postgraduate institute of European studies [coleurope.eu]. Currently, the College of Europe hosts approx. 340 students in Bruges and 120 students in Natolin. Students come from approx. 50 nationalities every year and follow advanced Master’s programmes of 10-month duration in a residential format (“studying and living Europe together”). In line with the College of Europe’s educational approach, the "Master of Arts in European Transformation and Integration – The EU and Southeastern Europe” (ETI) in Tirana will enroll approx. 30 students in its first cohort (starting in August/September 2024).
The ETI programme provides a unique academic offer, combining EU affairs with region-specific elements of Southeastern Europe – while upholding the high academic standards of the College of Europe. Responding to emerging challenges and equipping students with the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes for their future careers, the programme will provide a distinguished educational framework for students from the Western Balkans, the European Union and beyond.
Criteria for the position of Permanent Professor of ETI :
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law, History or Economics;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the EU integration and transformation process as well as Southeastern Europe/the (Western) Balkan region;
- A list of academic publications in their respective field, including publications with a specific focus on EU integration and transformation, EU enlargement of the Western Balkans region and EU-Western Balkans relations as such;
- Demonstrated research and teaching experience at a reputable higher education institution;
- An excellent command of English and a (very) good command of French;
- Preferably, a good understanding of the functioning of the College of Europe;
- Capacity to work flexibly and reliably in an international environment.
- The Permanent Professor will support the Director of Studies in the implementation, management and development of the ETI programme;
- The Professor will coordinate the work of the team of Academic Assistants on a daily basis;
- The Professor will teach at least 50 hours in the programme and supervise a number of Master’s theses;
- The Professor will be responsible for the organisation of the introductory courses of the ETI programme before the official start of the academic year;
- The Professor will provide academic guidance to the students of the ETI programme on a daily basis (e.g. through regular office hours);
- The Professor will be responsible for the plagiarism hearings of the Department;
- The Professor will contribute to and participate in the student selection process for the ETI programme;
- Affiliated to the College of Europe, the Professor will conduct research and publish in his/her respective field of expertise and, in cooperation with the Director of Studies, organise academic conferences around the core topics of the ETI Department;
- The Professor will be member of the Academic Council of the College of Europe;
Other academic and administrative tasks required for the smooth functioning of the Department.
In light of the above tasks, the Professor is expected to be based in Albania for the duration of his/her contract.
Conditions offered :
- A vibrant academic setting embedded in the institutional network of the College of Europe;
- The fee or salary will be well above the level of comparable positions at the Albanian higher education institutions;
- The initial contract will be for a three-year duration (renewal possible).
Applications comprising a motivation letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, the name of two referees, a list of publications, research projects and courses taught should be submitted before 14 December 2023 (11:59 p.m.) to Ms Federica Mogherini, Rector of the College of Europe, by e-mail to : email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a selection interview that will take place on-site in Bruges on 11/12 January 2024.
Should you require any further information on this position, please contact Mr Carsten Gerards, Principal Coordinator in the Rector’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
By submitting your application, you consent to have your personal data processed for the purpose of recruitment and the specific position you are applying for. You acknowledge that your data, the data provided by the referees you provide, as well as data we receive from academic institutions we can contact for verification purposes, will be processed by the College of Europe, the members of the selection committee partners appointed by the College of Europe related to this recruitment process.
All information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and in line with the current data process regulations.
For more information on how we use the information you have provided and how to exercise your rights, please see our privacy notice for recruitment (https://www.coleurope.eu/privacy).