• Should I pay an application fee?
  • Can I apply for a second study programme if I already graduated from the College?

    No, you are not allowed to apply again once you are a College alumnus. The large number of applicants requires a strict limitation of admitted students.

  • I have not studied political science, European studies, international relations, diplomatic studies, law, economics or contemporary European history, can I still apply to EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies?
    An application is not excluded if your studies include particular courses on the European Union. However, you might consider applying to the European Political and Governance Studies programme in Bruges or, alternatively, to the European Interdisciplinary Studies programme at Natolin (Warsaw). Both programmes accept students with a broader academic background while allowing them to specialize on EU external relations in the second semester.
  • Should I indicate only a first or also a second choice of study programme?
    You are not obliged to indicate a second choice of study programme. If you do indicate two choices, your application will be evaluated independently by both study programmes you apply for. 
  • Is a translation of the documents necessary?
    Yes, as the documents will be evaluated by the academic staff of the College. Please upload a copy of the original document with either a French or English translation. An unofficial translation is sufficient.
  • Is a copy of the degree and academic results sufficient or do you need the originals? Do they have to be legalised?
    A copy will be sufficient. Legalisation is not necessary if you upload a copy of the original document together with the French or English translation.
  • Where should I send my transcript if I only obtain it after the application deadline?
    The transcripts for all semesters of your studies should be included in your online application. If a transcript is not yet available before the application deadline, please send it to the Admissions Office ( as soon as possible and preferably before the start of the interviews.

  • Where should I send my diploma after the deadline?
    All diplomas should be included in your online application. Only your diploma(s) yet to be obtained can be emailed to the Admissions Office of the College of Europe at a later stage.
  • Can I use my TOEFL score after the validity period?
  • Do special forms for the letters of recommendation exist?
    Yes, these are in the form of online recommendation questionnaires that are automatically sent to your nominated referees via email through your online application. 
  • I graduated several years ago. Do I still have to provide you with two letters of recommendation from my previous professors?
    For applicants who graduated from university more than 5 years ago, one academic reference (from one of your professors who has supervised your thesis or who has taught you during your last years of studies) and a professional reference (written by your current or former employer) are acceptable. In exceptional cases where it may be impossible for such applicants to obtain an academic reference, they may also submit two professional references. Please only indicate professional e-mail addresses that clearly show the referees’ affiliation and make sure that the two referees indicated have in advance agreed to provide you with such letters.
  • Do I have the possibility to add additional letters of recommendation?

    If you have sent the 2 obligatory recommendation questionnaires to your referees through the online application system, you are allowed to add (max.) 2 optional letters of recommendation. These referees do not necessarily have to be professors who taught you at university and can assess your performance. You have to upload the optional letters yourself (application tab of the online application). The extended deadline for the referees is not applicable as far as these optional letters are concerned.

  • What is meant by publication?

    Publications are referring to published, i.e. publicly available, scholarly contributions (e.g. articles in academic journals, working papers, book chapters and books) and not to unpublished coursework such as class papers or theses.