Sara Canali (IT) is Academic Assistant at the College of Europe in Bruges, Department of EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies, since August 2019.
Sara obtained an MA in Conflict and Development (2020-2021) from University of Ghent, an MA in EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies from the College of Europe (2017-18, Veil promotion), as well as an MA in European Studies (2016-2017) from the University of Leuven and a BSc in International Relations and Political Science (2013-2016) from the University of Pavia.
Her previous work experience includes internships in Brussels at the European External Action Service (EEAS), where she was working on Egypt, and in a strategic partnership of European NGOs, dealing with humanitarian aid and development cooperation. Since July 2020, she is also a member of the Italian think tank Agenda Treccani, for which she edits and contributes to a monthly thematic newsletter on EU and Italian foreign policy and is part of a project on the role of history in Italian foreign policy.
Fields of interest: European Neighbourhood Policy, MENA region, gender equality and women’s empowerment, human rights and democratisation, EU foreign policy and diplomacy, development cooperation, Common Agricultural Policy (CAP).
- Canali, Sara. “Sectarian Regimes and EU Foreign Policy: a Challenge for an Inclusive Political Transition, Democracy and Human Rights Promotion in Syria”, EUIA Conference Paper, Brussels, May 2021 (forthcoming).
- Canali, Sara and Michaël de Clercq. “Common Agricultural Policy and Policy Coherence for Development: Reflecting on the Impact of the new MFF in Policy-Making towards Developing Countries”, TEPSA Brief Series, Brussels: TEPSA, 16 March 2021.
- Canali, Sara. “Renegotiating Partnership Priorities within the European Neighbourhood Policy: the Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on EU-Mediterranean Relations”, TEPSA Brief Series, Brussels: TEPSA, 3 March 2021.
- Canali, Sara. "Emergenza sanitaria: quali conseguenze sul deficit democratico nel vicinato Sud?", Agenda Treccani, 5 August 2020.
- Canali, Sara. "How has the Regeni case impacted EU-Egypt relations?", TEPSA Brief Series, Brussels: TEPSA, February 2020.
- Canali, Sara. "European Union diplomats: an emerging epistemic community?", CEPOB, 8.19, Bruges: College of Europe, 9 December 2019.
- Canali, Sara. "From hopes to ashes: women's rights and the Egyptian Arab Spring", Agenda Treccani, 11 October 2019.
- Canali, Sara. "The Thin Veil of Change: The EU’s Promotion of Gender Equality in Egypt and Tunisia", EU Diplomacy Papers, 2/2018, Bruges: College of Europe, September 2018.