Sara Canali (IT) is Senior Academic Assistant at the Pilot Project for the European Diplomatic Academy. Previously, she has worked as an Academic Assistant at the College in Bruges, Department of EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies.
Sara obtained an MA in Conflict and Development (2020-2021) from University of Ghent, an MA in EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies from the College of Europe (2017-18, Veil promotion), as well as an MA in European Studies (2016-2017) from the University of Leuven and a BSc in International Relations and Political Science (2013-2016) from the University of Pavia.
Her previous work experience includes internships in Brussels at the European External Action Service (EEAS), where she was working on Egypt, and in a strategic partnership of European NGOs, dealing with humanitarian aid and development cooperation.
Fields of interest: European Neighbourhood Policy, MENA region, gender equality and women’s empowerment, human rights and democratisation, EU foreign policy and diplomacy, development cooperation, Common Agricultural Policy (CAP).
- Mackie, J & Allwood G. (2022). The implementation of the 2030 Agenda’s principles of ‘leaving-no-one-behind’ and ‘addressing the needs of those furthest behind first’ in the EU’s development policy, PE 653.657 (Brussels, Committee on Development, 19 January 2022) (with the assistance of Sara Canali).
- Canali, Sara. “Sectarian Regimes and EU Foreign Policy: a Challenge for an Inclusive Political Transition, Democracy and Human Rights Promotion in Syria”, EUIA Conference Paper, Brussels, May 2021 (forthcoming).
- Canali, Sara and Michaël de Clercq. “Common Agricultural Policy and Policy Coherence for Development: Reflecting on the Impact of the new MFF in Policy-Making towards Developing Countries (Links to an external site.)”, TEPSA Brief Series, Brussels: TEPSA, 16 March 2021.
- Canali, Sara. “Renegotiating Partnership Priorities within the European Neighbourhood Policy: the Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on EU-Mediterranean Relations (Links to an external site.)”, TEPSA Brief Series, Brussels: TEPSA, 3 March 2021.
- Canali, Sara. "Emergenza sanitaria: quali conseguenze sul deficit democratico nel vicinato Sud?" (Links to an external site.), Agenda Treccani, 5 August 2020.
- Canali, Sara. "How has the Regeni case impacted EU-Egypt relations?" (Links to an external site.), TEPSA Brief Series, Brussels: TEPSA, February 2020.
- Canali, Sara. "European Union diplomats: an emerging epistemic community?" (Links to an external site.), CEPOB, 8.19, Bruges: College of Europe, 9 December 2019.
- Canali, Sara. "From hopes to ashes: women's rights and the Egyptian Arab Spring (Links to an external site.)"Links to an external site., Agenda Treccani, 11 October 2019.
- Canali, Sara. "The Thin Veil of Change: The EU’s Promotion of Gender Equality in Egypt and Tunisia" (Links to an external site.), EU Diplomacy Papers, 2/2018, Bruges: College of Europe, September 2018.