On Saturday, 18 November 2023, the Natolin Academy of Migration Nest organized a conference to explore the complex and evolving nature of migration to the European Union through the Mediterranean.
"The Rough Sea: Mediterranean routes of migration to the European Union"
The conference provided a comprehensive understanding of the phenomenon of migration to the European Union through the Mediterranean by examining its historical context and how recent events, such as the war in Ukraine, influenced migration dynamics. The discussions delved into the European Union's migration and asylum regulations, particularly in light of the European Commission's proposed pact on migration and asylum. This general theme set the stage for a detailed exploration of migration trends, with specific case studies of Tunisia and Libya offering insights into regional implications and challenges.
The session was inaugurated with a keynote address by Ms. Ana Cristina JORGE, Director of Operational Response at Frontex, and featured ten more speakers with a range of expertise from across Europe and beyond.
10:30 – 11:30
- Patrycja SASNAL, Member of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee – UN, Mentor of the Natolin Academy of Migration Nest
- Ana Cristina JORGE, Director Operational Response Division at Frontex
11:30 – 11:45 | Coffee Break
11:45 – 13:45 | Panel 1: The phenomenon and its old and new causes
Introduction: Ms Angeliki Anna ANDREOU
Moderation: Ms Evangelia TSAKALI
- Fernando LOPEZ AGUILAR, MEP, LIBE Committee Chair (Video Address)
- Elenora MILAZZO, Research Fellow, Egmont, Royal Institute for International Affairs
- Tasnim ABDERRAHIM, Analyst, The Global Initiative against Transnational Organized Crime, Malta
- Lorenzo PICCOLI, Migration Policy Centre, Robert Schuman Centre, European University Institute, Florence
- Szymon POGORZELSKI, Policy Officer, DG HOME, European Commission
13:45 – 15:15 | Lunch Break
15:15 – 17:15 | Panel 2: The solution: EU and national policies
Introduction: Mane TSATURYAN
Moderation: Sabrina BOUKHORSSA
- Branislav STANICEK, Analyst, European Parliamentary Research Service
- Camino MORTERA-MARTINEZ, Head of Brussels office, Centre for European Reform
- Jolanta SZYMANSKA, Head of European Union Programme, Polish Institute of International Affairs
- Albert-Horst NEIDHARDT, Head of European Migration and Diversity Programme, European Policy Centre
- Luca BARANA, Research Fellow, Istituto Affari Internazionali, Italy
17:15 | Closing Remarks and Coffee Break