- Research seminar: Law and Politics in the EU : Public Policies, Law and Politics, Interest Groups, Norms, Hard Law/Soft Law, CJEU, Commission (30h)
Sabine Saurugger is a Professor of political science (since 2005) and Director of Sciences Po Grenoble (since 2020). After undergraduate studies at the University of Vienna and the Free University of Berlin, she completed her PhD at Sciences Po Paris and taught for a year at the University of Lille as an assistant professor (2001-2002), and then as an associate professor at Sciences Po Grenoble (2002-2005). She is a honorary member of the Institut universitaire de France (IUF) and held visiting research and professorship positions at the College of Europe and the Universities of Lausanne, Cologne, Montreal, Brussels and Oxford.
Previous professional affiliations
- Assistant Professor: Sciences Po Lille (2001-2002)
- Visting positions: Université de Lausanne, University of Cologne, Université de Montréal (CERIUM/McGill); Oxford University (Nuffield College), Université Libre de Bruxelles
Fields of interest
Sabine Saurugger’s research focuses on public policy and European integration. More specifically, she concentrates on interest groups, theories of European integration, European public policies and institutions and the politics of law. Most recently she analysed the impact of economic and financial crises on public polices and legal frameworks. Results of her research have been published in journals such as the European Journal of Political Research, Journal of Common Market Studies, West European Politics, Political Studies, Journal of European Public Policy and Revue française de science politique. In 2013, she published Theoretical Approaches to European Integration (Palgrave McMillan). More recently, her co-authored book The Court of Justice and the Politics of Law has been published in the European Union Series with Palgrave (2017). She serves as a member of the editorial boards of Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, Political Studies Review, Journal of European Integration and Revue française de science politique.
- Saurugger, S., Hofmann, A., & Warren, T. (2020). National Constitutional Courts As Veto Players in the EMU Crisis. Available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3599037
- Sabine Saurugger & Fabien Terpan (2020) Normative transformations in the European Union: on hardening and softening law, West European Politics, DOI: 10.1080/01402382.2020.1762440
- Saurugger, S., Fontan, C. (2019). The judicialisation of EMU politics: Resistance to the EU's new economic governance mechanisms at the domestic level, European Journal of Political Research, https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6765.12322
- Dolowitz, D. P., Plugaru, R., & Saurugger, S. (2019). The process of transfer: The micro-influences of power, time and learning. Public Policy and Administration, DOI 0952076718822714.