Seven partners, one certificate! Attend the executive courses of your choice at renowned European academic and research institutions and enhance your skills in policy-making beyond the State
Who we are
The European and Transnational Governance Network (ETGN) is a training and development partnership among seven prestigious European academic and research institutions, offering transnational perspectives on governance issues of the 21st century:
Founded in 2018, the mission of the ETGN is to provide professionals with a unique opportunity to deepen and extend their knowledge and competences in European and transnational governance. Therefore, the ETGN develops innovative, interactive and impactful executive education training initiatives, leveraging the comparative advantages of the academic curricula of the participating institutions. The training courses have a strong orientation towards civic service, addressing the civil society and private sector organisations across the world.
The ETGN consortium shares knowledge and competences by regular online and in-person meetings and delivers collaborative executive education including a Summer School for policy professionals. On top of that, the ETGN also provides the participants with an opportunity to receive the Executive Certificate in European and Transnational Governance.
The Executive Certificate in European and Transnational Governance
What is it?
• A joint certificate awarded by the ETGN partners in line with set conditions.
• An opportunity to learn at three European academic and research institutions within the ETGN network at discounted prices (amounts of registration fee deductions are specified on the websites of respective ETGN partner institutions).
• A way to expand your network, substantive knowledge, and professional skills in stimulating international environments.
What are the conditions?
• Participants wishing to receive the certificate need to complete three executive trainings across three different ETGN partner institutions within a maximum period of 2 consecutive years.
• The application form with an indication of titles of three executive trainings presented by applicants is reviewed by the ETGN partner institutions and assessed on the basis of its feasibility, coherence, and duration (number of contact learning hours).
How to apply?
Applicants need to fill in and sign the ETGN Certificate Application Form, indicating their intended study plan and motivation. They should then send the form to the institute organising the first training course on their study plan. The form should be submitted by email and/or via the registration platform of relevant ETGN institute. Please consult the relevant websites below for detailed information.
The courses eligible for the Executive Certificate in European and Transnational Governance may be found on the websites of respective ETGN institutions or by directly getting in touch with the relevant contact points.
Central European University
• Course offer: For information on courses available please get in touch with Mr. Marton Leiszen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Europe, Bruges Campus
• Course offer: https://www.coleurope.eu/website/training/development-office/professional-training-programme
College of Europe, Natolin Campus
• Course offer: https://etgn.coleuropenatolin.eu/executive-education-all-courses/
Hertie School, the University of Governance in Berlin
• Course offer: https://www.hertie-school.org/en/study/course-catalogue?tx_lfcoursedirectory_list%5Bprogrammes%5D=62&cHash=d1607b1a4e93f8df70a8e0632c24f07e
School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute
• Course offer: https://www.eui.eu/en/academic-units/school-of-transnational-governance/the-stg-executive-training-hub
Institut National du Service Public (INSP)
• Course offer: For information on courses available please get in touch with Ms. Alexandrina Soldatenko at email@example.com.
SDA Bocconi School of Management
• Course offer: https://www.sdabocconi.it/en/etgn
Frequently asked questions
Q: How long will it take for the ETGN to review my certificate application?
A: There will be some differences in the duration of the review process depending on the ETGN institution to which you will submit your application form and how close the application comes to the registration deadline of the first course in your study plan. However, the process should not take longer than a month from submission.
Q: On what basis is my study plan going to be assessed?
A: The study plan will be assessed on the basis of:
a. Professional and academic background of the applicant; the potential impact that the study plan would have on the applicant’s career.
b. The feasibility of the study plan.
c. The quality and coherence of the study plan, including the number of contact learning hours.
Q: When does the two-year period to complete the three courses start? Is it when I submit the form or when the first course begins?
A: The two-year period will start when the first course in your study plan begins. So for example, you apply for the ETGN certificate in March 2022, and the first course in your study plan starts in July 2022, in this case you will have until July 2024 to complete your study plan and obtain the certificate.
Q: Should I go through the registration process of the individual courses once my study plan is approved?
A: Yes, upon approval of the study plan you will still be asked to register through the institutional websites and, after being formally admitted to the selected courses, transfer the discounted registration fees.
Q: I already attended a course at one of the ETGN members, can it count towards the ETGN certificate?
A: If you attended the course recently (i.e. in the previous year), and if you can commit to complete two other courses in the relevant timeframe (2 years from the start of your first course) then it can count towards the ETGN certificate upon assessment of your study plan. However, discounts can only be applied for the courses that have not yet been completed.
Q: Can I attend both online and residential courses across the seven ETGN partners for the award of the certificate?
A: Yes, both online and residential courses can be taken towards the award of the certificate.
Q: Is the ETGN certificate credit bearing?
A: No, the certificate itself does not have ECTS credits. However, some of the courses offered might on their own have ECTS credits. Please check with the providers of the individual courses.
Q: Which institution issues the ETGN certificate?
A: The Executive Certificate in European and Transnational Governance is jointly issued by all seven members of the network. It includes all institutional logos of the network’s members.
Q: What if I haven’t managed to complete three courses in the two year period?
A: If after the two year period you have not completed all three courses, you can ask for a six months extension, starting from the end of the two-year period. To ask for an extension, please email the ETGN Secretariat, include your ETGN Application Form in the e-mail, and let us know the course(s) that you wish to take during the extension. If after the extension you fail to complete all three courses you will lose the right to apply for the ETGN Certificate in the future.
Q: Which courses in Bruges are eligible?
- Intensive Seminar on the EU
- EU Energy Policy
- EU Competition Law
- Competition Policy & Digital Markets
- Managing Migration in Europe: Challenge and Response
- EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills
- Trade Policy
- Negotiations in Practice
- EU Fact Checking & EU Fact Finding
- European Defence & Security
The ETGN is managed by the ETGN Secretariat based at the European University Institute’s School of Transnational Governance, the Advisory Board comprising of representatives of all seven institutions, and a yearly rotating Chair.
You can contact the ETGN Secretariat on firstname.lastname@example.org.