The College of Europe (“We”, “us”, “our”, "College") is committed to protect your privacy. This privacy notice explains why we collect personal data, which information we have access to, how we collect and disclose the data, and how we protect your data. We will use or process your personal data only in accordance with the GDPR.
1. Why do we collect personal data?
We collect the information, for example :
- To organise events, conferences, courses ;
- To send newsletters or promotional content in accordance with your marketing preferences ;
- To implement tailor-made training courses ;
- To register for webinars and e-learning modules ;
- To facilitate your online transactions ;
- To administer donations ;
- To provide, support and ameliorate the services we offer ;
- To analyse web statistics and log files ;
- To compute anonymous statistics ;
- To prepare entrance permissions and access control.
Your personal data is not used in automatic profiling or decision-making.
2. What personal data do we collect and how ?
There are two general categories of information we collect and ask for :
2.1. Information you give us:
We will obtain personal information from you, for example, when you :
- Register on the website (for an event, conference, courses)
If you wish to attend e.g. an event, conference or you want to register for a course, we will ask you to provide certain information, such as your full name, email address, postal address, telephone number, date of birth, position/title, company/organisation, nationality, ID or passport number, dietary requirements*, VAT number if appropriate, if you are an alumnus or not.
(*) We will only process and use special categories of personal information about your dietary or access requirements in order to cater for your needs and to meet any other legal or regulatory obligations we may have.
- Subscribe to our e-newsletters
We inform students and partners regularly by means of an e-newsletter about our educational offers. The personal data collected as part of a registration for the e-newsletter will only be used to send our e-newsletter.
- Donate to us
If you wish to donate to us, we may ask you to fill in a donation form where you can provide us with the information, such as your name, email address, address, phone number, bank card information, name of the card holder.
- Enquire about our activities and/or request customer support
You can contact us directly by a general email address or via a contact form. Such personal data is transmitted on a voluntary basis and is stored for the purposes of processing or contacting the requester.
- Log in with your username and password
In order to use our intranet, students and staff members must login with their credentials.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer and mobile devices by websites that you visit.
You can control cookies through the browser settings. Consult the help function or the instructions of your internet browser for more information. You can also refuse to accept cookies but the access to the website may be limited or not function properly.
The College website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. The purpose is to help us identify how people are using our website. Google Analytics stores for example information about the pages you visit, your operating system, your access time and information about the device you used.
2.3. Links to third party websites :
Our website may provide links to third party websites and/or social widgets, as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Flickr, Vimeo, Youtube. These websites may not have the same privacy policies as ours. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of any site you visit.
3. Who processes your personal data and to whom is it disclosed?
- By default, your information is not shared with any other party.
- We may disclose and share your personal information with our service providers, who are working with us to perform functions and process user data on our behalf. For example, in case an event is jointly organized with a third party, the relevant personal data can be shared with this third party, but only for the institutional purposes relating to the organization of the event. Another example could be the caterer and specific dietary requirements.
- We may send newsletters by using MailChimp, an email service offered through the url www.mailchimp.com, owned and operated by the Rocket Science Group, LLC Marketing.
- We may use PayPal for secure credit card transaction processing and other online financial transactions. The data is required to process your donation with our payment processor(s).
- We may use the services of the marketing company 11ten.
- We may use Eventbrite to manage payment and charge for attendance for an event.
- We may use CognitoForms for specialized forms through the url www.cognitoforms.com, owned and operated by Cognito, LLC.
- We may use Wufoo for specialized forms through the url www.wufoo.com, owned and operated by SurveyMonkey Europe UC.
- We may also disclose your data to third parties when we are legally obliged to comply with statutory obligations, such as court orders or to cooperate with authorities as the police.
- We will never sell your personal information.
4. How do we protect and safeguard your information?
- All personal data collected are internally processed only by designated College staff members or agents and stored on servers which abide by the College’s security rules and standards. In case other controllers process your personal data (cfr. the controllers mentioned above, such as PayPal), we refer to the notices of these controllers.
- We take appropriate measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up-to-date. We have, for example, measures in place to protect against accidental loss and unauthorized access, use, destruction, or disclosure of data.
5. How long do we keep your data?
The College will keep your data only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the institutional purposes mentioned above.
6. How can you verify, modify or delete your personal data?
You may ask us to provide you with an overview of your personal data held by us.
You may ask us to consult, rectify, restrict and/or delete your personal data.
To exercise your rights you may contact us either in writing or by e-mail :
College of Europe - Bruges Campus
If you think we have infringed your rights, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Belgian Data Protection Authority.
7. Changes to our policy