The College of Europe is seeking applications for the position of Director of Studies (50% FTE) of the study programme "Master of Arts in European Transformation and Integration – The EU and Southeastern Europe” (ETI) at the newly established Department of European Transformation and Integration in Tirana, Albania [coleurope.eu/tirana], starting from the academic year 2024-25 onwards, and beginning with the preparatory work in spring 2024 (exact starting date tbc). The successful candidate will be appointed for a period of three years (renewal possible).
About the College: Welcome to the laboratory of the European integration
The College of Europe, with its Bruges campus established in 1949 and its Natolin campus established in 1992, is the oldest postgraduate institute of European studies [coleurope.eu]. Currently, the College of Europe hosts approx. 340 students in Bruges and 120 students in Natolin. Students come from approx. 50 nationalities every year and follow advanced Master’s programmes of 10-month duration in a residential format (“studying and living Europe together”). In line with the College of Europe’s educational approach, the "Master of Arts in European Transformation and Integration – The EU and Southeastern Europe” (ETI) in Tirana will enroll approx. 30 students in its first cohort (starting in August/September 2024).
The ETI programme provides a unique academic offer, combining EU affairs with region-specific elements of Southeastern Europe – while upholding the high academic standards of the College of Europe. Responding to emerging challenges and equipping students with the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes for their future careers, the programme will provide a distinguished educational framework for students from the Western Balkans, the European Union and beyond.
Criteria for the position of Director of Studies of ETI :
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law, History or Economics;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the EU integration and transformation process as well as Southeastern Europe/the (Western) Balkan region;
- A comprehensive list of academic publications in their respective field, including publications with a specific focus on EU integration and transformation, EU enlargement of the Western Balkans region and EU-Western Balkans relations as such;
- Several years of experience, including extensive managerial responsibilities, at reputable higher education institutions;
- Demonstrated research and teaching experience at reputable higher education institutions;
- An excellent command of English and a (very) good command of French;
- Preferably, a good understanding of the functioning of the College of Europe;
- Capacity to work flexibly and reliably in an international environment;
- ‘Entrepreneurial’ attitude towards institution building and development.
- This senior, half-time position requires a presence in Tirana at least every other week during the academic year (1 September – 15 July);
- The Director will be responsible for the implementation, management and the development of the ETI programme in its various ramifications within the guidelines set by the Academic Council, and the supervision and coordination of the work of a Permanent Professor as well as a team of Academic Assistants;
- The Director will teach at least 30 hours in the programme and supervise a number of Master’s theses;
- The Director will manage and coordinate the work of the visiting professors of the ETI programme;
- The Director will report directly to the Rector of the College;
- Affiliated to the College of Europe, the Director will conduct research and publish in his/her respective field of expertise and organise academic conferences around the core topics of the ETI Department;
- The Director will contribute to and participate in the student selection process for the ETI programme;
- The Director will be the main representative of the ETI programme in the College’s Academic Council (incl. the presentation of the annual updates of the ETI programme);
- Other academic and administrative tasks required for the smooth functioning of the Department.
Conditions offered :
- A vibrant academic setting embedded in the institutional network of the College of Europe;
- The opportunity to develop and shape a new academic programme and related research activities;
- The fee or salary will correspond to a comparable position at a Belgian university;
- The initial contract will be of a three-year duration (renewal possible);
- The College will provide accommodation during the periods the position holder is staying in Tirana and cover the travel costs between other European countries and Albania.
Applications comprising a motivation letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, the name of two referees, a list of publications, research projects and courses taught should be submitted before 14 December 2023 (11:59 p.m.) to Ms Federica Mogherini, Rector of the College of Europe, by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a selection interview that will take place on-site in Bruges on 11/12 January 2024.
Should you require any further information on this position, please contact Mr Carsten Gerards, Principal Coordinator in the Rector’s Office (email@example.com).
By submitting your application, you consent to have your personal data processed for the purpose of recruitment and the specific position you are applying for. You acknowledge that your data, the data provided by the referees you provide, as well as data we receive from academic institutions we can contact for verification purposes, will be processed by the College of Europe, the members of the selection committee appointed by the College of Europe related to this recruitment process.
All information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and in line with the current data process regulations.
For more information on how we use the information you have provided and how to exercise your rights, please see our privacy notice for recruitment (https://www.coleurope.eu/privacy).