Sieglinde Gstöhl (LI) is since September 2010 Director of the Department of EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies. She has been a fulltime Professor at the College of Europe in Bruges since April 2005. Before joining the College she was Assistant Professor of International Relations (1999-2005) at the Institute of Social Sciences at Humboldt University Berlin and post-doc researcher (1998-99) at the Liechtenstein-Institut in Bendern. In 1992-93 she was 'International Institutions Fellow' at the Center for International Affairs at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
Professor Gstöhl holds a Ph.D. in political science as well as an MA in International Relations from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva and a degree in Public Affairs (lic.rer.publ. HSG) from the University of St. Gallen. She also acquired professional experience in European affairs (e.g. EFTA Secretariat, national referendum campaign).
Fields of interests: EU external relations, in particular EU trade policy, European Neighbourhood Policy and EU external representation; theories of regional integration and of international relations; global governance; international political economy; diplomatic training; small states in international affairs.
(with Simon Schunz) “Insights for Foreign Policy Analysis from European Union External Action Studies”, Foreign Policy Analysis, 19(1), 2023, https://doi.org/10.1093/fpa/orac033
(with Christian Frommelt), "Beyond Downloading: Venues for Associated Neighbouring Countries to Influence EU Law and Policies", Journal of Common Market Studies, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcms.13436
(with Simon Schunz) (eds), The External Action of the European Union: Concepts, Approaches, Theories, London, Red Globe Press, 2021.
“Tightening the EU’s Trade-Development Nexus: A Strategic Turn in Search for Enhanced Effectiveness”, in M. Hahn & G. Van der Loo (eds), Law and Practice of the Common Commercial Policy: The First Ten Years after the Treaty of Lisbon, Leiden, Brill, 2021, 383-401.
(with D. Phinnemore) “The Future EU–UK Partnership: A Historical Institutionalist Perspective”, Journal of European Integration, 43(1), 2021, 99-115.
“The EU After Brexit: A Weaker or Stronger International Actor?”, European Foreign Affairs Review, 25(4), 2020, 503-522.
“The European Union’s Trade Strategy in the Emerging Tripolar Structure with the United States and China”, in J. Men, S. Schunz & D. Freeman (eds), The Evolving Relationship between China, the European Union and the United States of America, Abingdon, Routledge, 2020, 113-131.
(ed. with D. Phinnemore) The Proliferation of Privileged Partnerships between the European Union and its Neighbours, Abingdon, Routledge, 2019.
co-editor (with S. Schunz and L. Van Langenhove) of the special issue "Major Powers in Shared Neighbourhoods", Contemporary Politics, 24(1), 2018.
- (with D. De Bièvre) The Trade Policy of the European Union, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.
(with E. Lannon) "The Neighbours of the EU’s Neighbours: Overcoming Geographical Silos", in T. Schumacher, A. Marchetti & Th. Demmelhuber (eds), The Routledge Handbook on the European Neighbourhood Policy, Abingdon, Routledge, 2018, 522-532.
- (ed. with C. Damro & S. Schunz) The European Union’s Evolving External Engagement: Towards New Sectoral Diplomacies?, Abingdon, Routledge, 2018.
- (with C. Frommelt) "Back to the Future? Lessons of Differentiated Integration from the EFTA Countries for the UK’s Future Relations with the EU", Social Sciences, 6(4), 2017. Related contribution on LSE Brexit blog.
- (ed. with S. Schunz) Theorizing the European Neighbourhood Policy, Abingdon, Routledge, 2017.
- co-editor (with J. Monar and N. Neuwahl) of the special issue "Transatlantic Leadership in a Global Perspective: Challenges and Opportunities", European Foreign Affairs Review, 21(3), 2016.
- (ed.) The European Neighbourhood Policy in a Comparative Perspective: Models, Challenges, Lessons, Abingdon, Routledge, 2016.
- "The Contestation of Values in the European Neighbourhood Policy: Challenges of Capacity, Consistency and Competition", in S. Poli (ed.), The European Neighbourhood Policy – Values and Principles, Abingdon, Routledge, 2016, 58-78.
- (ed. with E. Lannon) The European Union’s Broader Neighbourhood: Challenges and Opportunities for Cooperation beyond the European Neighbourhood Policy, Abingdon, Routledge, 2015.
- "Models of External Differentiation in the EU's Neighbourhood: An Expanding Economic Community?", Journal European Public Policy, 22(6), 2015, 854-870.
- (ed. with E. Lannon) The Neighbours of the EU’s Neighbours: Diplomatic and Geopolitical Dimensions beyond the European Neighbourhood Policy, Farnham, Ashgate, 2014.
- (with D. Hanf) "The EU’s post-Lisbon Free Trade Agreements: Commercial Interests in a Changing Constitutional Context", European Law Journal, 20(6), 2014, 733-748.
- "No Strings Attached? The EU’s Emergency Trade Preferences for Pakistan", in I. Govaere & S. Poli (eds), EU Management of Global Emergencies: Legal Framework for Combating Threats and Crises, Leiden, Brill Nijhoff, 2014, 47-73.
- "Differentiated Integration and the Prospects of a Neighbourhood Economic Community between the EU and its Eastern Partners", in P. Van Elsuwege & R. Petrov (eds), Legislative Approximation and Application of EU Law in the Eastern Neighbourhood of the European Union: Towards a Common Regulatory Space? London, Routledge, 2014, 89-107.
- "The European Union’s Trade Policy", Ritsumeikan International Affairs, 11, 2013, 1-22.
- "Diplomacy in the 21st Century Is Network Diplomacy", Crossroads, III(2), April-October, 2012, 49-58.
- "Informal Governance and the G8", in T. Christiansen & C. Neuhold (eds), International Handbook on Informal Governance, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishers, 2012, 255-275.
- (ed. with D. Mahncke) European Union Diplomacy: Coherence, Unity and Effectiveness, Brussels, Peter Lang, 2012.
- "What Is at Stake in the Internal Market? Towards a Neighbourhood Economic Community", in E. Lannon (ed.), Challenges of the European Neighbourhood Policy - Les défis de la Politique européenne de voisinage, Brussels, P.I.E. Peter Lang, 2012, 85-108.
- "EU Diplomacy after Lisbon: More Effective Multilateralism?", The Brown Journal of World Affairs, 17(2), 2011, 181-191.
- (with C. Frommelt) "Liechtenstein and the EEA: the Europeanization of a (very) small state", Rapport 18, Oslo, Utvalget for utredning av Norges avtaler med EU, 2011.
- "Uneven Legalization of Non-Trade Concerns in the WTO: Blurring Regime Boundaries", Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, 9(3), 2010, 275-296.
- "The Common Commercial Policy and Political Conditionality: ‘Normative Power Europe’ through Trade?", Studia Diplomatica, LXIII(3-4), 2010, 23-41.
- "The Social Dimension of the EU Neighbourhood Policies", in J. Orbie & L. Tortell (eds), The European Union and the Social Dimension of Globalisation: How the EU Influences the World, London, Routledge, 2009, 62-80.
- "‘Patchwork Power’ Europe: The EU's Representation in International Institutions", European Foreign Affairs Review, 14(3), 2009, 385-403.
- (ed. with D. Mahncke) Europe's Near Abroad: Promises and Prospects of the EU's Neighbourhood Policy, Brussels, Peter Lang, 2008.
- "Governance through Government Networks: The G8 and International Organizations", Review of International Organizations, 2(1), 2007, 1-37.
- "The EU's Response to Switzerland: Still a ‘Special Case’?", in C.H. Church (ed.), Switzerland and the European Union: A Close, Contradictory and Misunderstood Relationship, London, Routledge, 2006, 234-247.
- (ed. with C. Ingebritsen, I.B. Neumann & J. Beyer) Small States in International Relations, Seattle/Reykjavik, University of Washington and University of Iceland Presses, 2006.
- "Gipfeltreffen und Theorien der internationalen Politik", Zeitschrift für Politikwissenschaft, 15(2), 2005, 395-418.
- (with R. Kaiser) "Mechanisms of Global Trade Governance: The ‘Double Standard’ on Standards in the WTO", in S.A. Schirm (ed.), New Rules for Global Markets: Public and Private Governance in the World Economy, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2004, 195-213.
- (ed.) Global Governance und die G8: Gipfelimpulse für Weltwirtschaft und Weltpolitik, Münster, LIT Verlag, 2003.
- Reluctant Europeans: Sweden, Norway, and Switzerland in the Process of Integration, Boulder, Lynne Rienner 2002.
- "Scandinavia and Switzerland: Small, Successful and Stubborn towards the EU", Journal of European Public Policy, 9(4), 2002, 529-549.
- Flexible Integration für Kleinstaaten? Liechtenstein und die Europäische Union, Schaan, LAG Verlag, 2001.
- "The European Union after Amsterdam: Towards a Theoretical Approach to (Differentiated) Integration", in M.G. Cowles & M. Smith (eds), The State of the European Union, Volume 5: Risks, Reform, Resistance, and Revival, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2000, 42-63.