Thijs Vandenbussche is Research Assistant to the European Energy and Climate Policy Chair at the College of Europe (Bruges campus) and External Expert in Climate and Energy Policies at the European Policy Centre (EPC). He also works as an independent consultant on these topics. He has several years of experience in research and organising and moderating conferences in the field of energy and environmental policies.
Previously, Thijs worked as an academic assistant at the College of Europe (2017-2021), as policy analyst at the European Policy Centre (2020-2021), and previously completed a Schuman traineeship at the Structural Policies Unit of the European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS, 2016-17, Brussels). He is a graduate in Political Sciences and EU Studies (Ghent University, 2014 & College of Europe, Bruges, 2016) and Economics (Ghent University, 2015).
- Ataíde Lampe, F, S. Šipka and T. Vandenbussche, 29 June 2022, "From Brussels to Beijing: The key issues and tools for climate collaboration" in EU–China relations at a crossroads, Vol. I: Looking for a new modus vivendi, EPC
- Vandenbussche, T., “A just energy transition: tapping into a century of ideas”, November 2021, European Policy Centre, Brussels. In cooperation with Friedrich Ebert Stiftung.
- Van Der Loo, G., Vandenbussche, T., and Aktoudianakis A., “The EU-US Trade and Technology Council: Mapping the challenges and opportunities for transatlantic cooperation on trade, climate and digital”, September 2021, Egmont Institute of International Affairs, Brussels.
- Vandenbussche, T., “Is the EU's building renovation wave 'fit for 55'?” June 2021, European Policy Centre, Brussels.
- Vandenbussche, T., “Towards zero emission vehicles”, 4 May 2021, European Policy Centre, Brussels. In cooperation with the UK Presidency of United Nations Climate Change Conference 2021.
- Vandenbussche, T., For my next trick I’ll need a volunteer: The role of ENGOs in integrating environmental concerns in the European biofuel policy through the European Parliament, 2017, Bruges Political Research Paper No. 55, College of Europe. Prize winner for Best Thesis on European Energy Policy.
- Vandenbussche, T. & M. Pape, Challenges and Opportunities for Europe’s Small Transport firms, 2016, EPRS, European Parliament.
- Vandenbussche, T. & M. Pape, Developing EU Waterborne Passenger Transport, 2016, EPRS, European Parliament.
- Bassot, E., et al., Ten issues to watch in 2017: low-emission mobility, 2017, EPRS, European Parliament
- Draft input “Advanced Biofuels and Sustainable Transport”, to Bourguignon, D., “Advanced biofuels: Technologies and EU policy”, 2017, EPRS, European Parliament.
- 18 December 2021: Interview for Deutschlandfunk
- 7 October 2021: Interview for Terzake (VRT, Belgium) on
- 15 July 2021: Interview for Reuters on Carbon Border Adjustments and International Climate Policies - “Analysis: EU forces pace on carbon cuts, challenges others to follow”
- 5 July 2021: Interview for Reuters on Carbon Border Adjustments - “Analysis: Europe faces sceptical globe with carbon border levy”