Towards effective negotiations
13-17 November 2023 / Bruges, Belgium
The purpose of this five-day training course is to provide participants with a practical insight into the negotiation mechanisms and dynamics between and within the EU institutions. Our high-level trainers will give them the necessary tools and guidance to enhance their negotiation, communication, influencing and lobbying skills.
Our course trainers, who all have first-hand experience of negotiations at the highest level or in-depth negotiation analysis, will teach participants how to become successful and strategic negotiators within the political and legal structures of the EU.
The course combines different learning approaches:
- Interactive training sessions examining theoretical and practical aspects of negotiations and the specificities of the EU decision-making process: the theory and practice of international negotiations; mechanics and dynamics of the EU Institutions; EU decision-making structures; influencing the EU from outside.
- Simulation exercises based on real dossiers where participants take over the role of a negotiator in the Council of the European Union and are confronted with actual conditions and constraints of the official decision-making procedures.
- Workshops designed to identify, develop and practise negotiation, communication and other essential skills: communication techniques and strategies; negotiation skills; lobbying strategies.
- Feedback sessions to assess one's negotiation style and identify areas for improvement.
Why this course?
Through this programme, participants will have an opportunity to:
- Improve their knowledge of the dynamics and mechanics of EU decision-making processes;
- Participate in several exercises, including simulation games based on real dossiers handled by the EU;
- Experience the role of a negotiator in the Council of the European Union during a one-day simulation game;
- Practise their communications skills;
- Receive feedback and targeted guidance on how to improve their negotiation skills;
- Enjoy a unique opportunity to debate and extend their personal and professional network;
- Receive a certificate from the College of Europe upon successful completion.