From 7 to 14 April 2017, a multinational team of 14 students from the European Interdisciplinary Studies Department of the Natolin campus of the College of Europe participated in the prestigious New York - National Model United Nations (NY-NMUN) 2017.
The NY-NMUN competition is the largest university-level MUN in the world and involves around 6000 students from more than one hundred universities, schools and other academic institutions. In the context of its eighth consecutive participation, the Natolin campus represented Tunisia, an important case study in the framework of the research activities of the European Neighbourhood Policy Chair.
This year's selected students (or "delegates"), forming the Delegation of Tunisia, were: Ms Isabell BURMESTER (DE, Head Delegate), Mr Bram VAN MELDERT (BE, Deputy Head Delegate), Ms Aleksandra BRODOWSKA (PL), Mr Rafael Del Riego SÁNCHEZ (ES), Mr César DRO (FR), Ms Simona GRIBULYTE (LT), Mr Alexandros LEFTERATOS (GR), Mr Alexander PRENTER (NZ), Ms Agnieszka PYSZNY (PL), Mr Roberto Reyes IZQUIERDO (ES), Mr Patryk SŁODZIŃSKI (PL), Mr Jakub WOJSYK (PL), Ms Olena YERMAKOVA (UA) and Mr Roman ZAGORODNIY (UA).
The intensive training of the students was led by NMUN Mentors Mr Mattia FILIPPIN and Mr Paweł MICHALSKI, and carried out by Dr Madalina DOBRESCU, Ms Marianna WYSOCKI and Mr Paweł PUJSZO, who also accompanied the team to New York.
This year at the NY-NMUN 2017, the Natolin Team kept up with the outstanding trend of its previous performances by winning 6 "NMUN Awards" including the "Honorable Delegation Award". Here the full list of awards given to the Delegation:
- 1 "Honorable Delegation Award" – awarded to the entire Delegation recognizing the excellent performance of all 14 students;
- 5 "Outstanding Position Paper Awards" (out of 7 submitted):
- General Assembly First Committee (Ms Simona GRIBULYTE and Mr Jakub WOJSYK)
- General Assembly Second Committee (Mr César DRO and Mr Bram VAN MELDERT)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (Mr Alexandros LEFTERATOS and Mr Roberto REYES IZQUIERDO)
- Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (Ms Agnieszka PYSZNY and Mr Rafael DEL RIEGO SÁNCHEZ)
- UN Environment Assembly (Ms Aleksandra BRODOWSKA and Mr Alexander PRENTER)
This is the fifth consecutive success of the Natolin campus at the NMUN in New York City. Including this year's edition, the Natolin campus managed to bring home the impressive amount of 35 "NMUN Awards" in five consecutive years.