Some 40 practitioners from the South Caucasus engaged in work to address the consequences of conflict in the region met in Brussels on 29-30 November, to discuss best practices and approaches to...
This project is funded by the European Union
2018 marked 45 years of EU-LAS relations. Since 2008 there is a shared willingness to revitalize these relations, especially by:
- Understanding each other’s priorities;
- Exploring synergies with other regional frameworks, and;
- Anticipating and mitigating the effects of regional crises.
Following the first ministerial meeting between the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the European Union (EU) and of the League of Arab States (LAS) held in Malta in 2008, the EU and the LAS made efforts in strengthening and structuring their relations by establishing a framework of regular High-Level and Senior Official Meetings, with the purpose of contributing to regional security, prosperity and democracy in full respect of international law, the United Nations Charter and the relevant UN resolutions.
In continuity with El-Hiwar I (2013-2017), the overall objective of phase II (2018-2021, now extended until May 2022) is to strengthen dialogue, co-operation and collaboration with key regional actors in Euro-Arab relations.
- Launching event
- Institutional Training Courses on EU/LAS functioning and priorities
- Policy dialogues
- Sectoral training courses
- Briefing sessions and working breakfasts
- Summer Schools on Euro Arab relations
- Closing event
- We are organising the second edition of the El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab relations The call for applications is now closed.
- El-Hiwar II – Briefing on the new EU agenda for the Mediterranean with the League of Arab States, March 2021
- IEMed launches an open consultation on the EU and its Southern Neighbourhood, January 2021
- EU-funded Project El-Hiwar II – Sectorial training course on fake news, misinformation, fact-checking techniques and reliable sources of information on the EU, November 2020
- El-Hiwar II – Online training workshop on the Wider Human Rights Agenda, September 2020
- El-Hiwar II – 2020 Foresight Exercise, September 2020
- El-Hiwar II – Inter-Institutional Dialogue: “Response to Covid-19 and Repercussions on Euro-Arab Relations”, July 2020
- El-Hiwar II – The Project Community goes online!, May 2020
- El-Hiwar II – Briefs from El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, February 2020
- El-Hiwar II – Institutional Training on the "Functioning and Priorities of the League of Arab States" in Cairo, February 2020
- El-Hiwar II – "Euro-Arab Dialogue on Human Rights: Understanding Eact Other's Priorities, October 2019
- El-Hiwar II – Sectorial Training on Foresight Techniques and Strategic Thinking, August 2019
- El-Hiwar II – Briefing on the Report 'Global Trends to 2030: Challenges and Choices for Europe' and its implications for Euro-Arab Relations, August 2019
- El-Hiwar II – First Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, July 2019
- El-Hiwar II – Workshop on 'Euro-Arab Relations: History, Opportunities and Key Players', June 2019
- El-Hiwar II – Policy Dialogue on Women and Conflict, April 2019
- El-Hiwar II – Policy Dialogue on Youth, Civil Society and Socio-Economic Needs, April 2019
- El-Hiwar II – First institutional seminar in Brussels, October 2018
- El-Hiwar II – Training and Information Course on Euro-Arab Diplomacy: Programme launched, July 2018
- El-Hiwar II - Briefing on the EC’s pact on migration and asylum with the Arab League Secretariat and Member States Oct 2021
- EL Hiwar II - El-Hiwar project organised a briefing between the EC and the Arab League to explore bi-regional cooperation in the sphere of Education
Briefs - El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations
In the framework of the first El-Hiwar Summer School on Euro-Arab Relations, which took place from 15 to 19 July 2019, participants were encouraged to and trained in the drafting of briefs on a topic of relevance for the future of Euro-Arab relations. The series is published below!
- Deepening the Euro-Arab Trade and Sustainable Development Goals, Chahir Zaki, February 2020
- Women's effective inclusion in peace processes as an indispensable tool to achieve a long-lasting peace: The case of the challenges for achieving gender equality at the Syria Peace talks, Dr. Ana B. Perianes, February 2020
- The relevance of International Water Law to the good governance of transboundary water resources in the Arab Region, Imad Antoine Ibrahim, February 2020
- Partnering for Migration across the Mediterranean: The way forward, Clara Alberola, February 2020
- Old tools for new realities: EU Special Representatives as foreign policy tools in Euro-Arab security dialogue, Sharon Lecocq, January 2020
- EU-LAS relations Factsheet, European External Action Service - EEAS, February 2019 (Arabic here)
- New Wine into Old Wineskins? Addressing Patterns of Institutional Development in Euro-Mediterranean Relations in the Wake of the So-Called “EU Refugee Crisis”, Tommaso EMILIANI, EU officer at the College of Europe and Researcher, October 2018
Partners & Stakeholders
The European Union, in particular the European Commission - DG NEAR and the EEAS
The League of Arab States, in particular the General Secretariat and the thematic departments at the LAS Secretariat
ECLASLO, the European Commission-League of Arab States Liaison Office
The Member States of the European Union and the League of Arab States
Civil Society Organisations willing to take part and contribute to the EU-LAS technical debate
Follow us on social media!
- Follow the hashtag #elhiwar on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Instagram to keep updated!
- Join our Facebook Page! This page will allow the Euro-Arab community to keep growing and stay in contact.
- If you have participated in any of the project activities, do not hesitate to ask to join the El-Hiwar Facebook group by contacting us at email@example.com. This group has been put at the service of participants, trainers and organizers who took part in project activities not only during this phase but also in the previous one, from 2013 to 2017, under El-Hiwar I.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any enquiry or to explore synergies between your project and El-Hiwar II: firstname.lastname@example.org!