New threats, new responses
27 - 29 September 2023 / Bruges, Belgium
An ever changing international stage and new threats such as cyber-attacks, climate change, hybrid threats, global terrorism, etc. call for more integrated mechanisms and strategic autonomy. This course is a unique opportunity to get a thorough understanding and practical approach of how the EU is trying to address and prioritise this key topic.
The programme analyses how the EU is boosting its ambitions, efforts and tools to address rapidly evolving security challenges both within the EU and outside its borders. Throughout the course, participants will receive a complete understanding of the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP), the institutional mechanisms linked to it and the state of play on how the EU is acting on the defence and security front (internally and externally) and facing new threats (in particular, cyberthreats and climate change) with key partners (institutional, private sector and the non-state actors).
The course combines different learning approaches:
- Interactive training sessions on the CSDP, new threats, EU partnerships in the field of Defence and Security and geopolitical dynamics;
- Training resources and suggested readings;
- Debates and discussions between practitioners and participants.
Why this course?
Through this programme, participants will have an opportunity to:
- Update and improve their knowledge and understanding of the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP);
- Get insight into the EU’s institutional defence architecture and decision-making processes;
- Learn more about EU military and civilian missions and operations abroad as well as about the key cooperation tools and initiatives between Member States;
- Analyse new threats and learn how the EU is facing them;
- Understand the geopolitical dynamics at stake and identify the main partners of the EU in the field of Security and Defence;
- Learn in a multicultural environment;
- Extend their personal and professional networks;
- Receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course.
About the course
Target groups & faculty