On Wednesday, 1 December 2021, Rector Mogherini participated in the online Women of Europe Awards, organised by the European International Movement and the European Women's Lobby. The awards are...
New threats, new responses
28 - 20 September 2022 / Online
Benefit from a 20% discount when registering for this course as part of a package!
‘European Defence & Security’ and ‘EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills’
‘European Defence & Security’, ‘EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills' and Negotiations in Practice’
About the course
An ever changing international stage and new threats such as cyber-attacks, climate change, hybrid threats, global terrorism, etc. call for more integrated mechanisms and strategic autonomy. This course is a unique opportunity to get a thorough understanding and practical approach of how the EU is trying to address and prioritise this key topic.
The programme will analyse how the EU is boosting its ambitions, efforts and tools to address rapidly evolving security challenges both within the EU and outside its borders. We will start from a wider international and historical context and explain how the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) was shaped as we know it now while paying a special attention to the institutional mechanisms and decision-making processes. Then, we will have a closer look at the current state of play and how the EU is currently acting on the defence and security front (talking about EU military and civilian missions and operations abroad as well as key cooperation tools and initiatives between Member States). Later, we will learn and discuss how the EU is building its resilience by facing new global security threats and challenges (in particular, with regard to climate change and cyberthreats). We will finish the programme by looking at geopolitical challenges as well as defence cooperation and partnerships and discuss where the EU is heading and what are the key EU priorities and plans in the field of security and defence for the years to come.
By sharing experiences and insights with academics, practitioners and their peers, participants will receive a complete understanding of the CSDP.
The course will take place on MS Teams, which allows for a highly interactive online learning. Participants will be able to:
- See and interact with the trainers and their peers during the training sessions;
- Follow the lectures and presentations;
- Have access to collaborative whiteboards;
- Take part in different activities in groups or together;
- Extend the interaction with fellow participants and trainers thanks to chat channels available throughout the duration of the course;
- Consult training material and resources uploaded in advance.
All in all, it will create a unique virtual space for learning, networking and exchange.
The course includes the following:
- Interactive training sessions;
- Training resources: suggested readings;
- A panel debate: with practitioners and experts; ;
Active participation is required and networking opportunities are strongly encouraged.
Through this programme, participants will have an opportunity to:
- Update and improve their knowledge and understanding of the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP);
- Get insight into the EU’s institutional defence architecture and decision-making processes;
- Learn more about EU military and civilian missions and operations abroad as well as about the key cooperation tools and initiatives between Member States;
- Focus on new threats and learn how the EU is facing them;
- Identify the main partners of the EU in the field of Security and Defence;
- Learn in a multicultural environment;
- Extend their personal and professional networks;
- Join the exclusive LinkedIn group for the alumni of the course;
- Receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course.
Benefit from a 20% discount when registering to this course as part of a package!
- Join ‘EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills’ and ‘EU Defence & Security’
- Join ‘EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills’, ‘Negotiations in Practice’ and ‘EU Defence & Security’
Find more information here.