Georges Mink is Director of Research at the Institut des Sciences Sociales et du Politique (CNRS - France), Université de Paris X, Nanterre and (since 2015 – today) President of the International Council for Central and East European Studies (ICCEES). He is a Sociologist and Political Scientist, specialising in Central and Eastern Europe. His research and publications – more than 250 - include books, chapters in the collective publications, articles and expert papers, and are dedicated to political systems, the sociopolitical evolution of these regimes, the conversion of ex-communist elites in central and Eastern Europe and the europeanisation of national political systems. His current research focuses on the question of transitional justice in EU countries and memory games.
Georges Mink was Visiting Professor at Science Po, Paris (1973-2018), and Visiting Professor (2000-2010), Director of Studies (2010-2012), Permanent Professor (2012-), and Chairholder (chair of European History and Civilization, 2019-2023) at the College of Europe, Natolin Campus, European Civilization Chair.
He has also lead research teams : the Observatoire Sociologique de l’URSS et de l’Europe de l’Est (OSEUS-CNRS) and the Centre des recherches sur les sociétés postcommunistes (CRESPO-CNRS). Between 2001 and 2003, he worked for the French Foreign Ministry as Director of the Centre Français de Recherches en Sciences Sociales in Prague (MAE-CNRS). He was Director of the Revue d’Études comparatives Est-Ouest (1999-2004) and was one of founders of the journal Géopolitique.
Georges Mink is member of several boards of international journals, including New Eastern Europe, Studia Polityczne, and Acta Politologica. He is and has been member of several professional executive bodies, including the Administration Council of Radio France Internationale (1989-1994), the Scientific Council of the Social Sciences Faculty of the Charles University, and the Programme committee of Centre Franco-Autrichien pour le rapprochement en Europe. He also served as President of the International Council for Central and Eastern European studies (ICCEES, 2015-2021).
His most recent books are: “History, Memory and Politics in Central and Eastern Europe, Memory Games”, (co-ed), Palgrave 2013, “La Pologne au coeur de l’Europe, de 1914 à nos jours, Histoire politique et conflits de mémoire”, Buchet Chastel, Paris, 2015, Polish updated version was published in 2017 by Wydawnictwo Literackie (Krakow).
- History, Memory and Politics in Central and Eastern Europe, Memory Games (co-eds with L. Neumayer), Palgrave, 2013
- Poland in the heart of Europe, from 1914 to the present day, Political history and conflicts of memory, Paris, Buchet Chastel, 2015
- Polska w sercu Europy, od 1914 do czasow najnowszych, historia polityczna i konflikty pamieci, (translation from French in expanded and updated version), Wydawnictwo Literackie, Krakow, 2017
- Three revolutions: Mobilization and Change in Contemporary Ukraine 1, Theoretical Aspects and Analyses on Religion, Memory and Identity, Pawel Kowal, Georges Mink, Iwona Reichardt (eds.), IBIDEM Verlag, Distributed by Columbia University Press, Stuttgardt, 2019,775 p.
- Three revolutions: Mobilization and Change in Contemporary Ukraine 2, An Oral History of the Revolution on Granite, Orange Revolution, and Revolution of Dignity, Pawel Kowal, Iwona Reichardt, Georges Mink, Adam Reichardt (eds.), IBIDEM Verlag, Distributed by Columbia University Press, Stuttgardt, 2019, 780 p.
- "Pozytiwizm europejski (European Positivism)", in Europa - czas przemian wspolnotowosci (Europe - the time of changes in the community), (ed. Basil Kerski et alii), ECS, Gdansk, 2016, 5 p
- "Czy istnieje nowa, instytucjonalna odpowiedz na zbrodnie komunizmu?, (Is there a new institutional response to the crimes of communism?")", in ; Rozliczanie totalitarnej przeszlosci: instytucje i ulice (Settlement of the totalitarian past: institutions and streets), (ed. A. Paczkowski), ISP-PAN, Warsaw, 2017, pp. 71-97
- "Europe i jej sasiedzi. Historia i pamiec narodowa. Zmiana skali (Europe and its neighbours. History and national memory. Change of scale)", Almanac 2019/2020, Conciliu m Civitas (red. J. Zakowski), Collegium Civitas Foundation, Warsaw, 2019, pp. 191-203
- "The Long-Lasting Revolution in Ukraine: Challenges Related to Researching the Phenomenon", (with Pawel Kowal)", Pawel Kowal, Georges Mink, Iwona Reichardt (eds.), Three revolutions: Mobilization and Change in Contemporary Ukraine 1, Theoretical Aspects and Analyses on Religion, Memory and Identity, IBIDEM Verlag, Distributed by Columbia University Press, Stuttgart, 2019, pp. 19-59
- Introduction to Jérôme Heurtaux, Poland, 1989, how communism collapsed, Codex/Le courrier d'Europe Centrale, 2019, pp. 15-21
- "Do hymnu wdarł się "obcy"... "Polskość" w kontekście europejskim, (A "foreigner" crept into the hymn, .. "Poloness" in the European context), in Niedokończona wojna. "Polskość" jako zadanie pokoleniowe, ("An Unfinished War. "Poloness" as a generational challenge, red. Robert Traba, Instytut Studiów Politycznych, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 2020, pp. 55-70
- "Memory, history and politics in Central Europe, from reconciliation to the reactivation of past conflicts", in La Vie de l'esprit, en Europe centrale et orientale depuis 1945, dictionnaire encyclopédique, Chantal Delsol and Joanna Nowicki (eds), Editions du CERF, 2021, pp. 328-334
- "Some reflections on my tenure as director of the French Centre for Research in Social Sciences in Prague", Heurtaux J. (ed.), Libertés académiques en péril. Savoirs, pouvoirs et coopération scientifique en Europe centrale (et au-delà), Editions Codex, 2023.
- "Central Europe in the test of authoritarianism", Politique Etrangère, Paris, IFRI, Dunod, n°2/2016, pp. 89-101
- "Jaroslaw Kaczynski, Porträt", Ost-West. Europäische Perspektiven 17, (2016), pp, 295-301
- "Three Revolutions: A Research Project, G. Mink and Pawel Kowal, New Eastern Europe, N° 1, (XXV), January-February, 2017, pp. 8-11
- "Laying the groundwork for reconciliation: Poland-Ukraine perspective", New Eastern Europe, N° 1, (XXV), January-February, 2017, pp. 116-124
- "Historian in the city: Polish historians facing the experience of "illiberal democracy"", Histoire@Politique, Centre d'Histoire de Sciences Po- Paris, n° 31, April, 2017, online review
- "Czy rewolucja jest pojeciem aktualnym (moze operacjonalnym), Is revolution a topical (perhaps even operational?) concept"? Polska The Times, Warsaw, 4 March 2017
- 'Is there a new institutional response to the crimes of communism? National memory agencies in post-communist countries: the Polish case (1998-2014), with references to the East German case', in Nationalities Papers , The Journal of Nationalism and Ethnicity, Routledge, volume 45, no. 6, November 2017, pp. 992-1013
- "Sociology and sociologists working in totalitarian and post-totalitarian regimes in Central Europe, 1945-1989", STATE/OF/ARTS, Social theory and Eastern Europe, Institute of Sociology, UW, Warsaw, biannual, nr2, vol 13, 2017, (issue 2018), pp. 19-45
- "The International Spread of State Intervention in History and Historical Memory", OBSERVING MEMORIES, nr2, November 2018, University of Barcelona, pp. 36-42
- "Nowe spojrzenie na 1989 rok w świetle jego konsekwencji, (A new look at 1989 in the light of its consequences), Concilium Civitas, Almanac 2020-2021, 2020, Warsaw, pp. 228-239
- "Poland: Can the autocratic temptation be reversed?", Politique Etrangère, nr. 4, December, 2021, IFRI, Dunod, Paris
- "Mr. Geremek i Jego Europa (Mr. Geremek and his Europe)", Gazeta Wyborcza, Wolna Sobota, pp. 28-29, 7 May 2022
- "In the wake of the 24th - February Russian invasion of Ukraine: geopolitics, history and memory" In: Observing Memories, Université de Barcelone, nr 6, décembre 2022, pages: 14-23.
- "Geopolitics, history and memory games, jumping from the 20th to the 21th century", New Eastern Europe, The Jan Nowak Jezioranski College of Eastern Europe in Wroclaw, bimonthly, January-March, n°1, 2023, pp.183-194
Book by Patrick Pleskot based on the interview with Georges Mink and documents from the political police, "Tam i z powrotem, Georges Mink w slowach, dokumentach, obrazach, (Back and forth, Georges Mink: in words, documents and images)", Warsaw, 2018, 278 p.