Jesús BALLESTEROS is Advisor to the Rector on Financial Resources and Innovation in the field of Higher Education. He is currently responsible for developing and leading the financial resources development and innovation strategy for the College of Europe (Bruges), with a special focus on the academic, student and college affairs.
Jesús Ballesteros has more than twenty (20) years of professional experience in EU affairs, including business development and the design and management of international projects and executive education and professional training activities for both, public (EU institutions, public administrations (EU and Non-EU countries)) and private sectors.
As former Head of the Executive Education, Training and Projects Office, Mr Ballesteros was responsible for the management and implementation of framework, technical assistance and service contracts for the EU institutions and international organisations in different EU Policies, as well as for the design, coordination, and implementation of executive education and training programmes. Furthermore, specialised in project design and implementation, project and resource management, monitoring and evaluation of projects, he has an excellent understanding of project cycle management (PCM), PRAG rules and the financial and administrative management of EU funded projects in general.
Finally, as a lawyer, Jesús counts with more than ten (10) years of professional experience in legal practice, more in particular in the fields of EU Competition law, Trade law and Public procurement, including analysis and legal assessment of national legislation and case law of the EU Member States. He holds a degree in Spanish law and postgraduate degrees (LLM) in European Union law and in External Trade and Commercial Policy, as well as a postgraduate diploma in EU and British law.
Jesús BALLESTEROS speaks Spanish, English and French.
Fields of interest and areas of expertise:
EU externals relations, development cooperation policies, EU diplomacy and diplomatic training, European Neighbourhood Policy, capacity building and institutional strengthening, EU negotiations, EU decision making process, peace mediation and dialogue processes, legal and economic analysis of EU Law, research and innovation, project management, executive education and training, etc.
Positions held in relevant projects:
- El-Hiwar – Training and Information Course on Euro-Arab diplomacy (Project Coordinator)
- Programme for the Preparations of the Republic of Poland for the Presidency of the Council of the European Union (Team leader)
- Cooperation on Competition in ASIA (Project Coordinator CoE)
- Africa-EU Competition Cooperation (Programme Director)
- EU Policy and Outreach Partnership in South America (Project Coordinator CoE)
- Preparing staff for EU-ENP related jobs (Project Coordinator)
- European Resources for Mediation Support – ERMES (Project Coordinator – Leader CoE)
- FWC Provision of staff training and related consultancy services to the European Union, Bodies and Agencies (Senior Expert, Project Coordinator CoE, Member of the Steering Committee)
- Southeast Europe and the EU – Leadership Development Programme (LDP) (Senior Project Coordinator CoE)