Dr Andriy Tyushka joined the European Neighbourhood Policy Chair as a Research Fellow in November 2016, having previously held a Post-Doctoral Fellowship position with the Chair in 2014, and since 1 October 2019, is a Senior Research Fellow. He is also part of the ‘ENGAGE’ (2021-2024) research project, an EU-funded project under the European Commission’s ‘Horizon 2020’ research programme focusing on ‘Envisioning a New Governance Architecture for a Global Europe’ (https://www.engage-eu.eu).
Prior to joining the College of Europe Natolin, Dr Andriy Tyushka held research and teaching positions in Spain (University of Deusto), Germany (German-French Institute in Ludwigsburg), and, most recently, Estonia (Baltic Defence College), where in 2016, he was awarded the BALTDEFCOL Service Cross for outstanding service. He was also a research fellow in the Department of International Relations and Diplomacy at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv (Ukraine), where he obtained his M.A. and Ph.D. in International Relations and World Politics. He also holds advanced postgraduate degrees in Constitutional Law (University of Lviv), and International Relations and European Integration (Estonian School of Diplomacy).
Dr Tyushka’s research focuses primarily on (Eastern) European security (Ukraine, Poland, Russia); the EU’s (Eastern) neighbourhood, foreign and security policy, including the EU association agreements and structural power in the neighbourhood; Franco-German European politics; constitutional studies (Ukraine, EU); and strategic narratives and partnerships in international relations.
Selected recent publications
- The European Union and its Eastern Neighbourhood: Whither ‘Eastern Partnership’? (edited with T. Schumacher) London and New York: Routledge, 2022.
- States, International Organizations and Strategic Partnerships (edited with L. Czechowska, A. Domachowska, K. Gawron-Tabor, and J. Piechowiak-Lamparska) Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019.
Articles and Book Chapters
- ‘Joint Institutional Frameworks in EU Bilateral Agreements: Joint Bodies, Rules and Principles, and Special Procedures’, JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2022: 1124-1143 (with D. Phinnemore and W. Weiß)
- ‘The Power and Performance of ‘Association Bodies’ under the EU’s Association Agreements with Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine’, JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2022: 1165-1189.
- ‘Weaponizing narrative: Russia contesting EUrope’s liberal identity, power and hegemony’, Journal of Contemporary European Studies, Vol. 30, No.1, 2022: 115-135.
- ‘Twists and Turns of Democratic Transition and Europeanization in East-Central Europe since 1989: Betwixt EU Member and Neighbour State-Building’, Croatian Yearbook of European Law and Policy, Vol. 16, 2020: 133-177.
- ‘Rethinking the Governance-Governmentality-Governability Nexus at the EU’s Eastern Frontiers: The Carpathian Euroregion 2.0 and the Future of EU-Ukrainian Cross-Border Cooperation’, Eastern Journal of European Studies, Vol. 11, 2020: 146-183 (with H. Lytvyn)
- ‘Strategic Partnerships, International Politics and IR theory’, in: States, International Organizations and Strategic Partnerships (pp.8–43), Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019 (with L. Czechowska)
- ‘Semi-Presidentialism’, in: R. Grote, F. Lachenmann and R. Wolfrum (eds.), The Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law (MPECCoL), Oxford: OUP, 2019.
Policy Papers and Reports
- Security Challenges at the EU’s Eastern Border: Which Role for CSDP? (DG EXPO In-Depth Analysis, PE 653.653, January 2022). Brussels: European Parliament’s Subcommittee on Security and Defence, 2022 (with T. German)
- ‘The Implementation of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement: Addressing the Law and Politics of Effective Implementation and Application of the Association acquis’, in: A. Zygierewicz (ed.), Association Agreements between the EU and Moldova, Georgia and Ukraine (pp.161-241), Brussels: European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS), 2018.
Op-eds and Commentaries
- ‘Made in Ukraine: The EU’s Emerging Real(ist) Power’, Carnegie Europe, 03.05.2022.
- ‘Seeking the Eastern Partnership’s Greatest Integer’, New Eastern Europe, 26.02.2018.
Dr. Tyushka’s list of publications is also available at: Google Scholar, ResearchGate, and ORCID.
For the latest news and activities, visit the Chair’s official Facebook page.