Dr Theofanis Exadaktylos is Senior Lecturer in European Politics and Acting Head at the Department of Politics at the University of Surrey. He has been a visiting professor several times at the European Neighbourhood Policy Chair at the College of Europe (Natolin) for the summer school sessions teaching on research methods and research design.
Dr Exadaktylos completed his PhD in Politics at the University of Exeter (2010) and holds an MSc. in European Political Economy: Integration from the London School of Economics (2005) and a BA in International Relations (Europe and the former USSR) and Economics (summa cum laude) from Tufts University (2004).
His research agenda includes Europeanization of foreign policy; politics of austerity in Europe; public policy implementation and political trust; emotions and perceptions of crises; pathways to political engagement in Europe; the rise of populism and the emergence of national stereotypes in the media. He is an expert in political methodologies and research design, having taught and published widely on the subject.
Dr Exadaktylos is the co-editor of Research Methods in European Studies: Research Design in Europeanization with C.M. Radaelli (2012, Palgrave Macmillan). His work has appeared among others in the Journal of Common Market Studies, Policy Studies Journal, International Journal of Communication, National Identities, Politics & Policy, and European Journal of Politics and Gender. He has also written numerous book chapters in key research edited collections and textbooks on European Union studies, and has given a number of invited seminar and keynote speeches on the matter.
He is the co-editor of the Journal of Common Market Studies Annual Review since 2018 and he co-convenes the Standing Group on Political Methodology at the European Consortium of Political Research since 2015. He has been a consultant with the World Bank on Greece. He frequently comments on national and international media on issues of European affairs and Greek politics.
Selected journal articles:
- Capelos Tereza, Exadaktylos Theofanis, Chrona Stavroula, Pouloupoulou Maria (2018) News Media and the Emotional Public Sphere/The Emotional Economy of the European Financial Crisis in the UK Press, International Journal of Communication 12 pp. 2088-2113 University of Southern California, Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism.
- Guerrina, R., Exadaktylos, T. and S. Guerra (2018) “Gender, Ownership and Engagement during the EU Referendum: Gendered Frames and the reproduction of Binaries”, European Journal of Politics & Gender.
- Capelos, T., Exadaktylos, T., Chrona, S. and Poulopoulou, M. (2018) “In the Heart of the Financial Crisis: individual and collective emotionality in editorials and opinion pieces in the UK media”, International Journal of Communication 12: 2088-2113.
- Exadaktylos, T. and T. Capelos (2017) “Feeling the pulse of the Greek Debt Crisis: emotional reactions on the web of blame” in special issue "Dividing united Europe. Stereotypes, prejudices and the European (economic) crisis" National Identities .
- Zahariadis, N. and T. Exadaktylos (2016) “Policies that Succeed and Programs that Fail? Ambiguity, Conflict, and Crisis in Greek Higher Education,” Policy Studies Journal .
- Exadaktylos, T. and N. Zahariadis (2014) “Quid pro Quo: Political Trust and Policy Implementation in Greece during the Age of Austerity,” Politics & Policy 42(1): 160-183.
- Vasilopoulou, S., Exadaktylos, T. and Halikiopoulou, D. (2014) “Greece 2009-2011: austerity, populism and the politics of blame,” Journal of Common Market Studies, 52(2): 388-402.
- Exadaktylos, T. and C.M. Radaelli (2009) “Research Design in European Studies: The case of Europeanization,” Journal of Common Market Studies, 47(3): 507-530.
Selected book chapters:
- Exadaktylos, T. (2017) “Methodological and theoretical challenges to the study of the ENP” in Schumacher, T. Marchetti, A. and T. Demmelhuber (eds.) The Routledge Handbook on the European Neighbourhood Policy, London Routledge.
- Exadaktylos, T. and K. Lynggaard (2016) “Research Design in the Study of the ENP” in Schumacher, T. and D. Bouris (eds.) The Revised European Neighborhood Policy, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Exadaktylos, T. (2015) “Changing Policy Paradigms” in Jørgensen, K. E., Drieskens, E., Kalland Aarstad, A., Laatikainen, K., and Tonra, B. (eds.) The SAGE Handbook of European Foreign Policy, 2nd edition, London: Sage.
- Capelos, T. and T. Exadaktylos (2015) “‘The good, the bad and the ugly’: stereotypes, prejudices and emotions on Greek media representation of the EU financial crisis,” in Karyotis, G. and Gerodimos, R. (eds.) The Politics of Extreme Austerity: Greece Beyond the Crisis, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Exadaktylos, T. and C.M. Radaelli (2015) “Europeanization” in Lynggaard, K., Manners, I. and K. Löfgren (eds.) Research Methods in European Union Studies, Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Exadaktylos, T. and N. Zahariadis (2014) “Explaining Institutional Change during Europe’s Financial Crisis, 2008-2012” in Haastrup, T. and Eun, Y. (eds.) Regionalising the Global: Assessing broader dynamics of the economic crisis, Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Radaelli, C.M. and T. Exadaktylos (2010) “New directions in Europeanization research” in M. Egan, W. Patterson, and N. Nugent (Eds.) Research Agendas in EU Studies: Stalking the Elephant, Palgrave/MacMillan.