From 22-24 February 2019, eighteen students from the College of Europe Natolin campus participated in the prestigious London International Model United Nations (LIMUN). The London International Model United Nations is the LIMUN Foundation’s flagship annual event, welcoming over 1,500 delegates to the great cosmopolitan capital of Britain, for three days of intensive debate and exciting social events.
The conference consists of a simulation of United Nations organs and other fora of international affairs, challenging young people to take on the roles of world leaders. Participants assume the mantles of national ambassadors, simulating various organs, committees and specialised agencies while seeking to resolve outstanding issues on the international agenda, from human rights to breaches of the peace.
In 2019, the College of Europe Natolin campus took part in the LIMUN for the first time. The Delegation — consisting of 18 students — was led by two Student Group Leaders, Emma VERMUNICHT and Agnieszka WIDLASZEWSKA, and a Faculty Advisor, Roman ZAGORODNIY.
Students selected to form the Delegation were: Gevorg BAGHDASARYAN, Nina BASOK, Yasmine BENNOUAR, Oussama BOUZEROUATA, Mareva BUNGA, Boniface CHAMPRIS, Jasmine GODIER, Mohammed-El-Amin HAMIDOU, Maelle IMBERT, Vira KOMPANIIETS, Hugo PENICAUD, Stanislav POLCHENKO, Benjamin ROBINET, Angeline SANZAY, Mallory TAMAIN, Louise VALLEDOR and Marie-Ange WAMBO.
After two days of intensive committee sessions, the effort of the Natolin delegates at the LIMUN 2019 has been recognised, as five of our students were rewarded for embracing the principles of cooperation and dialogue, as well as for being able to make subtle concessions while upholding their policy interests.
Two Diplomacy Awards went to:
- Mohammed-El-Amin HAMIDOU – representing the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries;
- Vira KOMPANIIETS – representing the Republic of South Africa in the United Nations Development Programme.
Three Honourable Mentions went to:
- Gevorg BAGHDASARYAN – representing the State of Qatar in the United Nations Human Rights Council;
- Louise VALLEDOR – representing the Republic of South Africa in the United Nations High Commission on Refugees;
- Hugo PENICAUD – representing the State of Qatar in the United Nations High Commission on Refugees.
In order to learn more about the Natolin Delegates' performance at the LIMUN 2019, check out the regular updates which were published on our Facebook page.