The Careers and Professional Development Office of the College of Europe in Natolin organized on Saturday, 6 March 2021 an online workshop on diplomatic protocol.
The workshop titled "Protocol, Formalities and Ceremonies" was delivered by Ambassador Tomasz ORŁOWSKI.
The workshop covered inter alia:
- Diplomatic protocol: term and use in work and life;
- Art of representation: diplomatic mission, public ceremonies, and official speeches;
- Art of receiving: visits, parties, order of precedence, and flag etiquette;
- General introduction to good manners in formal contexts;
- Organising formal dinner: invitations & sitting arrangement;
- Formal attires: appropriate dress for the right occasion, official, business, and informal attire.
About the speaker:
Ambassador Tomasz ORŁOWSKI received his PhD in Medieval History from Poitiers University. He joined the Polish diplomacy in 1990 where he served as Ambassador of Poland to the French Republic and to the Principality of Monaco, Ambassador of Poland to the Italian Republic and to the Republic San Marino, Head of External Relations of the Polish Diplomatic Academy, Deputy Chief of Diplomatic Protocol and later Chief of Diplomatic Protocol. After his diplomatic career he became a visiting professor and lecturer in several academies: Wrocław University; Diplomatic Academy, Warsaw; National School of Public Administration, Warsaw; École Nationale d’Administration, Paris; Institut d’Études Politiques, Paris School of International Affairs; and the College of Europe.
Ambassador ORŁOWSKI received several honours among which: Commander of Légion d’honneur (France), Grand Officer of the Order of Merit (Portugal), Grand Officer of the Grand Cross of the Federal Order of Merit (Germany), Grand Officer of the Order "Stella d'Italia" (Italy), Grand Officer of the Order "Pro Merito Melitensi" (Sovereign Military Order St. John of Malta), Commander of the Order of Three Stars (Latvia), Commander of the Order of Saint Charles (Monaco), and the Gold Medal of Merit for National Defense (Poland).