On Tuesday, 26 April 2022, the European Liberal Forum, with the support of ALDE Party and the Atlantic Club of Bulgaria, hosted the EU - Balkans Summit in Sofia, gathering EU leaders, foreign ministers, policy-makers, tech leaders, entrepreneurs and youth representatives to discuss the next steps for regional cooperation and EU integration.
Rector Federica Mogherini participated in-person in this summit on "Lessons from Ukraine: EU enlargement – insurance against war", joining Mrs Roberta Metsola, President of the European Parliament and Mr Olivér Várhelyi, EU Commissioner for Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement, by moderating the first panel at the event.
The focus of the conference was that of the lessons learned from Ukraine, and whether EU enlargement in the Western Balkans can serve as an antidote to war. Other issues discussed included disinformation in times of crisis, NATO and EU cooperation, the benefits of EU integration as well as the costs of no-integration.
Moderator: Federica Mogherini
- Olivér Várhelyi, EU Commissioner for Neighborhood Policy and Enlargement
- Bujar Osmani, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of North Macedonia
- Olta Xhaçka, Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Albania
- Donika Gervella, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Kosovo
- Bisera Turković, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Snežana Radović, the Deputy Foreign Minister of Montenegro.