Academic assistant: Marie KETTERLIN
This course examines the relations between the EU and Russia, with a focus on the avenues for conflict and cooperation in the future. The course begins with a brief overview of Russian history in relation to Europe, and then considers recent political developments in this relationship such as Brexit, Russia’s relationship with individual member states in Eastern Europe, and the costs/benefits of the either expanding or contracting the relationship between Russia and the EU in the future.
At the end of this course, students will have gained:
- An understanding of Russian history and its impact on Europe
- An understanding of how their current dictator, Vladimir Putin, maintains his power and legitimacy in Russia
- An understanding of Russia’s relationship with the EU, particularly through the member states in Eastern Europe.
- An understanding of Russia’s role in Brexit
- An understanding of how the war in Ukraine affects the EU.