Born on April 22, 1927, in Stuttgart (Germany). Married to Irmgard Drenckhahn; three children.
Graduate in Economics from the Technical University in Stuttgart. Doctor in Economics from the University in Tubingen. Postgraduate in European Affairs from the College of Europe in Bruges.
From 1952 to 1989 in the Foreign Service of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 1954: Vice-Consul in Boston (USA)
- 1956: Consul in Bombay (India)
- 1958: Head of Division at the Euratom-Commission in Brussels
- 1964: Counselor in the Division for the European Communities in the Foreign Office in Bonn
- 1967: Head of Division for International Technological Cooperation in the Foreign Office in Bonn
- 1970: Minister Plenipotentiary and Permanent Representative to the International Organizations in Vienna
- 1975: Consul-General in New York
- 1979: Deputy Director-General for European Community Affairs and International Technological Cooperation in the Foreign Office in Bonn
- 1984: Director-General for International Economic Affairs in the Foreign Office in Bonn
- 1985: Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the European Communities in Brussels.
From November 1990 to September 1993: Rector of the College of Europe, Bruges.
Distinctions: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold II of Belgium.
Publications: Numerous articles on European integration, United Nations and Energy Problems.
International Offices : Head of the German Delegation in numerous bilateral and multilateral negotiations, Chairman of the Program and Budgetary Committee of the General Conference of the IAEA (1974), Chairman of the OECD-Group in the Permanent Committee of UNIDO (1975), Chairman of the Committee of Permanent Representatives of the European Community (1988).
Hobbies: Piano, Composition, Philosophy, International Affairs.